We'd like to share some descriptions of innovations on the site. Perhaps at first glance, it seems that there aren't many of them, but it's not like that. First, we we'd like to tell you about our unique interface feature called "birth date picker" (or simply the datepicker).
We spent quite a time studying how users enter birth data and came to several conclusions:
- Usually the date of birth is too far from the current date. so selecting the desired date takes quite a time;
- Entering the date manually (via a text box) increases the number of system errors, because of increase of misprint errors; Also the date format is not clear for everyone: for example, 4/11/2014 one user will understand as the 11th of April '2014, while another as the 4 of November'2014;
- Entering the date in the text field on touchscreen devices (tablet PCs, mobile devices) was inconvenient because of the small field and a keyboard always sliding up.
Taking into account all these factors, we decided to create own datepicker that enables you to simplify the choice of the date, as well as to increase user-friendliness of the functionality. Here are some of its features:
- By default, the user is given a choice to pick a year first, then - a month, and only at the end - a date;
- Clicking on the header block in Date section (where it says "click here to pick ..."), you can get to a parent level, in order to "pass" big time periods;
- The longest period available for changing is a century. Especially this is useful when choosing the date of birth of the historical persons or celebrities;
- NB!: the mouse wheel works everywhere, but on touchscreens you can just slide your finger to the left and right or up and down. This is a quick navigation to select the next or previous month/year/decade;
- The date entered in the field only after you click "Apply";
- Change of date of birth automatically recalculates the time offset. The offset takes into account daylight savings/standard time, if there are any.
As a conclusion, we'd like to say that we have really tried to make our functionality as convenient as possible for all available devices. We believe that you will like our efforts.